Wednesday, October 15, 2008

"Starbucks is where white people ... go"

I live pretty close to my school (about a mile away), and so I frequently see students of mine on the street while I'm walking around the neighborhood. Today I saw a student on my way home from work. I was walking right by the new Starbucks by the metro when I bumped into her, and we had the following conversation.

Student: Hi Mr. Potter! Are you going into Starbucks?
Mr. Potter: Hi *student*. No. I'm not. Why?
Student: Oh, you know. Starbucks is where white people ... go.
Mr. Potter: It's where we go?
Student: Yeah. Or, like, I don't know. You know?

According to this blog, my student is correct. In the interest of full disclosure, I did go to that particular Starbucks this morning. Also, see here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should have responded, "Are you going to a fried chicken joint? You know, that's where black people go."

Mak Preist said...

You have my eternal gratitude. Your graciousness is appreciated. Do visit my website http://www.stanleyhighschool.com