Saturday, December 20, 2008

Merry Christmas --> Hall Fight

Today was the last day before Christmas Break (or, if you're PC, winter break). Of course, not much learning happened today. But that's fine -- it's to be expected on the day before a two week break. We had holiday parties and played games and all was well.

That is, until third period when rando girls started walking into my classroom and picking fights with my students. Apparently there were two girls who were fighting over some guy -- I asked around, and the guy is a real douche who never does any work and is already repeating the ninth grade... good choice, ladies -- and they decided to bring this disagreement to my room. In all my time teaching I have never had a fight break out in my room, and I wasn't about to break that record. So I pushed two of the girls out and called security (on my cell phone, because why would my school provide teachers with in-class phones that actually work). This delayed the fight for a while, but then my student walked out of my room and went and found these girls and got into it later. So now, on the last day of school of this year, kids are getting suspended and parents have to come up for meetings. So stupid.

The worst part is the girl that was fighting is a good student. She's been getting A's and B's on all of her tests, and she recently applied for a summer program at Howard University (for which I wrote her a recommendation). Why couldn't she control herself?? At least wait until tomorrow when you won't get suspended for fighting. Kids...

Needless to say, me and the other teachers got a drink after school. We needed to upgrade to some Holiday cheer. Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

ms. mindless said...

so, how many teachers at your school called in sick to pd today?

P.S. Montessori said...

I found your blog through DC Blogs. I'm a DCPS teacher also, working with the wee ones. Just wanted to say that I like your blog :)