Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Oh my.

I just submitted the following discipline referral to my grade-level administrator. I present it here for your reading pleasure. The names have been changed, not to protect the innocent -- because there are none -- but to protect me from getting sued.

"R's journey into insanity began at the beginning of class when students were asked to take a practice final. R asked for help on it, and I told him to try his best and that we would go over the practice test afterwards. He got very upset that I refused to help him, saying, “These motherf***ing teachers won’t help you, they just say to try my best. F*** that.” R then, unbeknownst to me, took the disposable camera that was provided by DonorsChoose to document the use of the donations we received off of my desk. He walked out of class, along with J and D.

The story does not end there. With 10 minutes left, these gentlemen, along with a newly found stranger I do not recognize, came into my class interrupting the review activity we were doing. R took a pair of dice out of his pocket and said, “I want to shoot these in front of Mr. Potter.” He then rolled the dice on the ground in front of me. As far as I know, no money exchanged hands. I asked R (and his cronies) to leave my classroom, and he eventually did. However, he left screaming and banging on every surface he could find, including Mr. M's door next door to mine."

I'm definitely saving this one.



Update: When the student described above came to my class today, I sent him to the assistant principal to discuss the referral. He returned to class with a note that read, "Please admit -- We conferenced and promised he will be better."

Oh, hell no.

6 comments:

Ms. T. said...

Welcome to my world. I teach at one of the alternative schools DCPS feeds into. Unfortunately, this is a regular occurance for me. What's even sadder is that the alternative school I teach at is no better than DCPS at meeting the needs of students with EBD and other learning disabilities. *sigh* I need a new job.

Glenn Watson said...

"Please admit -- We conferenced and promised he will be better.">>

Oh, well then, problem solved right? What a great leader. I mean the way he took that kid in hand and straightened him right out. I'm sure that boy will think twice before disrespecting you.

ms. mindless said...

i have an "oh, hell no" moment with my administration almost every day. i didn't really understand the feeling that could go into that phrase until i started teaching in dcps....

Anonymous said...

Ugh- I just had painful flashbacks from my years teaching in Baltimore. Sucks that you, and so many others, have to deal with such frustrating and disrespectful behavior.

Mak Preist said...

http://hospitalnotes.blogspot.com/2010/06/let-them-eat-cake.html?showComment=1339140929962#c2749789171481101601

Military Challenge Coins said...

Hi it is awesome post and i am totally agree to you that you are definitely saving.