Monday, February 9, 2009

Uh, thanks?

In addition to navigating that shark-filled waters of teaching 9th graders, I also have one section of AP Statistics. AP students are awesome. They do whatever I ask, they participate, and they're old enough to be actually funny (and not just fart jokes funny). So this class is like the shining beacon of glory in my day. That's not to say I don't love and value all of my students, blah blah blah. It's just that sometimes it's easier to love kids who don't curse at you for trying to teach them (the nerve of me!).

Anyways, this was how one of my AP students described our class to another teacher.

Student: AP Statistics is pretty fun. It's hard though. Mr. Potter gives out a lot of work. Also, he's like really really nerdy. Like, but in a good way. He gets really excited about math problems. It's kind of sad, but it's good too.

Meh, probably true.

(Disclosure: OK, it's totally true. Today I spent 40 minutes after school trying to solve a stats problem that I'm assigning for homework tomorrow. When I finally got it right, I turned on that M.I.A. song "Paper Planes" and strutted around my room. PS, did you see her at the Grammys like 12 months pregnant? Bananas.)

2 comments:

ms. mindless said...

ha! well, you obviously love your work and your students love you for it!

Glenn Watson said...

The good thing about AP students is they are so smart. The bad thing about AP students is they are so smart.

I am teaching AP econ for the first time this year and it is the hardest class I have ever taught. Still I am glad I volunteered to do it.